Recipe by ohgal
From "One Pot Meals for People with Diabetes" This good, family-pleasing soup can be started in the a.m. and is ready to serve when you return home in the p.m. Since the ground beef and carrots must be browned before being added to the slow cooker, you may want to prepare them the night before, then refrigerate them until assembling all the ingredients the next morning.
Top Review by **Tinkerbell**
I was excited to try this recipe, sure we'd like it, as I've been making a similar hamburger soup for over 20 years. I used a fresh onion, a full pound of ground beef & because I forgot to start it early enough I ended up cooking it all on the stove instead of the crock pot. We were all blown away by the RICH flavor the vegetable (I used V-8) juice offered. I've never used anything but canned (or fresh) tomatoes in my soup & we felt the juice brought this soup up to a whole new level. Both DH & DS had seconds (we had no leftovers), toddler DD ate it & DS was especially loving the tomato flavor without the actual chunks of tomato, which he never likes. I was reminded several times, between bites, that this was a keeper. I don't think I'll ever go back to my old recipe again! Thanks for sharing, ohgal! Made & enjoyed for Fall 2009 Pick A Chef. http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=310505
- 1⁄2 lb extra lean ground beef
- 2 large carrots, sliced crosswise into thin slices
- 1 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning (or 1/2 tsp. each dried oregano and basil )
- beef bouillon cubes or beef bouillon granules
- 1 1⁄2 cups hot water
- 3 cups vegetable juice
- 2 tablespoons instant minced onion
- 2 large bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup small macaroni pasta
- 1 (14 ounce) package frozen corn, red bell pepper, celery, and black bean medley or 1 (14 ounce) packagesimilar frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen cut green beans, thawed
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the beef, carrots, and Italian herb seasoning in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring to break up the beef, until is is just cooked through, about 6 minutes.
- Put the cooked beef mixture in a 3-quart or larger slow cooker. Stir in the water, bouillon mixture, vegetable juice, onions bay leaves, sugar, 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt, pepper, and pasta. Stir in the frozen vegetable medley and green beans. (The liquid may not cover all the vegetables at this point.).
- Cover the cooker, and turn on the high setting for at least 30 and preferably 45 minutes. Turn to the low setting and cook for at least 5 hours and up to 10 hours. Thin the soup with a little hot water before serving, if desired. Taste and add more garlic salt, if desired.
- Discard the bay leaves as the soup is served.