1/1 Photo of Mom's Grilled Enchilada Sandwiches
The Spice Guru's Note:
My mother's original recipe for enchilada-inspired grilled cheese sandwiches.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
MOCK ENCHILADA FILLING (USE ONLY THE SPECIFIED OR A GOOD CUMIN-SEASONED TACO SAUCE)
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can chopped black olives
- 2 tablespoons minced sweet onions
- 2 tablespoons taco bell brand taco sauce (or my Taco Bell Mild Taco Sauce (Copycat))
- 1 teaspoon instant masa harina (optional)
- 4 tablespoons real mayonnaise
- sliced soft sweet sourdough French bread
- 1COMBINE the MOCK ENCHILADA FILLING ingredients in a small bowl (you may add more or less of any of the ingredients to suit your own flavor and consistency preferences, or add 1 small seeded diced pickled jalapeno pepper and 1 teaspoon finely minced fresh cilantro or a pinch of crushed oregano for a more piquant flavor).
- 2SPREAD the MOCK ENCHILADA FILLING over one slice sourdough bread; TOP with remaining slice bread to make a sandwich.
- 3REPEAT sandwich-making process until all of the filling is used (you can make as many as 5 sandwiches, or use more filling on fewer sandwiches).
- 4PLACE 1 teaspoon of butter in a griddle or skillet, per every one sandwich placed, over low heat until butter melts.
- 5PLACE sandwich(es) onto preheated griddle.
- 6SWIRL sandwich(es) around evenly in melted butter in skillet until evenly coated.
- 7COVER with a lid.
- 8GRILL sandwich(es) slowly over low heat until golden and crisp on one side; GENTLY turn sandwiches over with a spatula; COVER; GRILL until the other side is golden and crisp.
- 9REPEAT grilling process for remaining sandwiches.
- 10SERVE immediately and ENJOY (I like to serve mine with taco sauce on the side for dipping)!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Grilled Enchilada Sandwiches
Serving Size: 1 (94 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 262.1
- Calories from Fat 194
- Total Fat 21.6 g
- Saturated Fat 10.4 g
- Cholesterol 50.5 mg
- Sodium 604.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 11.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: