My mother's original recipe for enchilada-inspired grilled cheese sandwiches.
Make and share this Mom's Grilled Enchilada Sandwiches recipe from Food.com.
MOCK ENCHILADA FILLING (USE ONLY THE SPECIFIED OR A GOOD CUMIN-SEASONED TACO SAUCE)
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) canchopped black olives
- 2 tablespoons minced sweet onions
- 2 tablespoons taco bell brand taco sauce (or my Taco Bell Mild Taco Sauce (Copycat))
- 1 teaspoon instant masa harina (optional)
- 4 tablespoons real mayonnaise
- sliced soft sweet sourdough French bread
- real butter
- COMBINE the MOCK ENCHILADA FILLING ingredients in a small bowl (you may add more or less of any of the ingredients to suit your own flavor and consistency preferences, or add 1 small seeded diced pickled jalapeno pepper and 1 teaspoon finely minced fresh cilantro or a pinch of crushed oregano for a more piquant flavor).
- SPREAD the MOCK ENCHILADA FILLING over one slice sourdough bread; TOP with remaining slice bread to make a sandwich.
- REPEAT sandwich-making process until all of the filling is used (you can make as many as 5 sandwiches, or use more filling on fewer sandwiches).
- PLACE 1 teaspoon of butter in a griddle or skillet, per every one sandwich placed, over low heat until butter melts.
- PLACE sandwich(es) onto preheated griddle.
- SWIRL sandwich(es) around evenly in melted butter in skillet until evenly coated.
- COVER with a lid.
- GRILL sandwich(es) slowly over low heat until golden and crisp on one side; GENTLY turn sandwiches over with a spatula; COVER; GRILL until the other side is golden and crisp.
- REPEAT grilling process for remaining sandwiches.
- SERVE immediately and ENJOY (I like to serve mine with taco sauce on the side for dipping)!
what a gaeat easy lunch idea!