Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Another winner from my mother, whom I believe is the greatest cook ever :-) My mother makes this every weekend and my 4-year old asks to go to my mother's to have some of what he calls "chicken delicious". Prep time does not include marination time. I have never measured ingredients when I make this so increase the spices if you wish. SOURCE: Mom.
- 1 (2 1/2-3 lb) roasting chickens, cut up
- 2⁄3 cup yogurt (nonfat ok)
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 -4 tablespoons oil (Do not use olive oil)
- 10 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 4 small whole cinnamon sticks
- 6 cardamom pods
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon Arabic seven spice
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine marinade ingredients.
- Marinate chicken for 12 hours- 48 hours (The longer the better). I carefully lift the skin, slash the chicken and spoon the marinade in, then cover with the skin again. The skin helps keep the chicken moist during cooking, but the chicken is equally good without it.
- Grill, brushing with more oil if desired.
This is quite good, DH liked it a lot. DD (toddler) thought so too as that is about all she wanted to eat. It's not very healthy though. I used canola oil, a little less garlic, less cloves per preference, my own Baharat Aka Middle East Mixed Spices - the Real Mix instead of store bought Arabic seven spice, less cayenne per preference, sea salt, freshly ground black pepper plus the rest. Served with a modified version of Kabul Party Rice and a fresh salad. I will make this again for DH.
This was fantastic. Roasted the chicken instead of grilling, because I'm lazy. I think I used too much yoghurt because it was a bit tart, but next time I will follow the marinade directions to the letter and I'm sure it will be spot on. I will definitely cook this again.
This should be called Chicken FABULOUS, TRUE! Awesome combination of spices, aromatic too! Did all oil to outside skin, This recipe is a total win! Next time might try diced chicken breasts, personal taste for me, Did I mention this is a FANTASTIC recipe? Thanks