Prep 2 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is the grilled cheese I grew up with and I think it leaves all the others far behind. Just a few tweaks but when I've tried the more classic bread, cheese and butter on the outside it so boring. Hope you like this. We usually jazz it up further with chopped cooked bacon and chopped tomato.
- 2 slices bread (white is traditional but we use what we have on hand, usually multigrain)
- 1 tablespoon Miracle Whip
- 1 -2 slice processed cheese (good with other kinds of cheese too!)
- 2 tablespoons onions, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Spread one side of each slice of bread with Miracle Whip.
- Lay a cheese slice or two on one slice of bread on top of the Miracle Whip.
- Top cheese with onion; salt and pepper.
- Place the other slice of bread on top of the onion, Miracle Whip side down.
- Butter the outside of the sandwich.
- Grill 4 or 5 minutes until cheese is melted and bread is brown and crunchy.
- NOTE: If the onion is too large it slows the cheese melting. Solve this by either chopping the onion finely or grilling at a lower temperature for longer.
This was very tasty, and the onion and mayonnaise made it just that little bit different. I used white bread, 97% fat free mayo, extra tasty cheddar cheese, red onion and half a vine-ripened tomato. Thanks, Marysdottir!