This is the grilled cheese I grew up with and I think it leaves all the others far behind. Just a few tweaks but when I've tried the more classic bread, cheese and butter on the outside it so boring. Hope you like this. We usually jazz it up further with chopped cooked bacon and chopped tomato.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Spread one side of each slice of bread with Miracle Whip.
- 2Lay a cheese slice or two on one slice of bread on top of the Miracle Whip.
- 3Top cheese with onion; salt and pepper.
- 4Place the other slice of bread on top of the onion, Miracle Whip side down.
- 5Butter the outside of the sandwich.
- 6Grill 4 or 5 minutes until cheese is melted and bread is brown and crunchy.
- 7NOTE: If the onion is too large it slows the cheese melting. Solve this by either chopping the onion finely or grilling at a lower temperature for longer.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Serving Size: 1 (133 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 407.3
- Calories from Fat 264
- Total Fat 29.3 g
- Saturated Fat 17.8 g
- Cholesterol 73.2 mg
- Sodium 807.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 7.9 g