Chef #1401315's Note:
From The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone. Great with any kind of nondairy milk, as a snack, or on top of a dessert. It will also last for weeks or even months stored in a glass container.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (or maple sugar)
- 3/4 cup wheat germ
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds (or sesame seeds)
- 1 cup nuts, chopped (or raisins)
- 1/2 cup safflower oil
- 1/3 cup maple syrup, sweetest version (or brown rice syrup, slightly milder version)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Spread the oats on a rimmed baking pan, and bake for 10 minutes. Transfer the oats to a large mixing bowl, and add the sugar, wheat germ, coconut, seeds, and nuts or raisins. Stir to mix well, then add the oil, syrup,and vanilla extract. Mix until everything is moistened.
- 3Spread half of the mixture on each of 2 rimmed baking sheets (or bake in 2 batches), and bake for 10 minutes. Stir after 5 minutes to brown evenly.
- 4Let the baked granola cool on the pans, then transfer it to a bowl and stir until crumbly. Store in an airtight container.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Granola
Serving Size: 1 (144 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 663.7
- Calories from Fat 304
- Total Fat 33.8 g
- Saturated Fat 5.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 140.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 77.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.1 g
- Sugars 25.7 g
- Protein 17.4 g