Prep 15 mins
Cook 7 hrs
This is my mom's goulash recipe, adapted for the slow cooker. It's great with barley or rice, or with Pyzy Drozdzowe (little dough balls), Pyzy Drozdzowe.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs stewing beef
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1 cup red pepper, diced
- yellow pepper, diced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons tomato paste
- red wine
- beef broth
- salt and pepper
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper and dredge in flour.
- Heat oil and brown beef. You may want to divide it into two batches so it browns evenly. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Cool pan a little, then add onion, mushrooms and peppers and more oil if needed. Cook until onion is golden brown.
- Add a bit more flour and mix with the vegetables. Add broth or water and stir until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer vegetable mixture to slow cooker.
- Deglaze pan with red wine.
- Add tomato paste to slow cooker and stir. Cook for 7-8 hours on low.
- Adjust seasoning as neccessary while it's cooking.
- If goulash is too watery, make a slurry (mix flour or cornstarch with water or broth) , add to slow cooker and cook on high for 15-20 minutes.