Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I got this from my mother. She loved to prepare it for us. I hope you'll enjoy.
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 14 ounces canned tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 8 ounces egg noodles, cooked
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 ounce parmesan cheese
- In a large pot brown hamburger with onion.
- In a separate pot cook noodles.
- Drain excess fat from hamburger.
- Add mushrooms, celery, tomatoes, catchup, salt and pepper to hamburger.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add cooked noodles.
- Simmer additional 10-15 minutes.
- Top with sprinkle Parmesan cheese if desired.
This is just like the goulash from the 1950's that my mom would often make. The only change I made was to add 2 tsp paprika. The ketchup really gives it a good flavor. I am glad I came across this recipe.
Fast and easy to make that is the way I need our weekday meals and this one fit the bill. I cooked the noodles for half the amount of what the manufacturer stated. This way the noodles absorbed the liquids in the bottom of the pan. I've never added Parmesan before to goulash but will from now on. Everyone loved the extra flavor it gave the dish. Thanks for a great recipe!