Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a very basic yet delicious meatloaf that is pretty much fool proof. I like to mix ground beef with ground venison for less grease and you won't need to drain it. However, all beef is just fine. Nothing fancy here, just good old fashion meatloaf that will please your tastebuds.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 2 eggs
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can tomato soup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup, divided
- 1⁄2 green pepper, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix ground beef and/or venison mixture with next 8 ingredients and 1/4 cup ketchup. Mix thoroughly but not excessively.
- Place meatloaf mixture into a greased baking pan. I like to use the speckled metal roasting pans.
- Top with remaining ketchup and green pepper slices.
- Cover and bake for approximately 1 1/2 hours or till meat is done. May need to drain some grease after an hour of baking.
As the description says, this is a good basic meatloaf recipe. I did make a couple changes...I used cubed bread instead of oatmeal (I'm not crazy about the texture of meatloaf with oatmeal in it) and I topped the meatloaf with a mixture of ketchup, dried mustard and brown sugar. Comfort food at its best. Leftovers made great meatloaf sandwiches. Made for PAC Fall 2012.