Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This German Potato Salad recipe has been in my family for generations! I don't think a year of my life has passed when I haven't had this at a family gathering. This is the version that my mom perfected, although you can add more or less sugar according to your tastes.
- Boil potatoes until just tender when poked with a fork, but not too soft.
- When potatoes are cool, peel and slice thin.
- Add salt, pepper, and celery salt to taste.
- Add chopped onion; set aside.
- Fry bacon slowly in skillet until crisp; crumble when cool.
- In separate bowl, combine vinegar, water, and sugar.
- Add liquid to bacon in skillet.
- Blend in flour and additional salt, pepper, and celery salt to taste.
- Add potatoes and warm through.
Very good recipe. A nice version of a classic salad. I would have liked more dressing and much more onion, but overall this was still very good. I got a little confused in step 5 where the bacon is removed from the pan, cooled & crumbled, and then in step 7 you are adding ingredients back to the bacon in the pan. I was on my way to the sink to clean out my skillet as the bacon cooled when I realized I would be needing the warm pan & the grease. Also - I would recommend whisking the flour into the dressing before adding it to the pan. The flour got a bit clumpy when added to the warm sauce.
I think your mom's potato salad is perfect just the way it is. I wouldn't change a thing. It wasn't too sweet and the vinegar wasn't too overpowering. It doesn't have a lot of unnecessary ingredients and it's not missing any. Perfect.
Very good,and easy to make! Hubby loved it too.