Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is my Mom's frosting that she always made to go with her brownies, cupcakes, or cakes. She also used it to fill between graham crackers as a treat for all the kids.
- 1⁄4 cup margarine (1/2 stick) or 1⁄4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 dashes salt
- 1 (16 ounce) package powdered sugar
- In a 2 quart saucepan, melt the margarine and chocolate over low heat, stirring constantly.
- Add milk, vanilla and salt and remove from heat.
- Stir in powdered sugar to make a rather stiff frosting.
- Beat until lumps disappear and frosting is smooth. You may have to use a small additional amount of milk.
- Return pan to stove, heat over low heat stirring constantly until frosting is lukewarm. This makes the frosting more liquid and easier to spread on brownies or cakes.