Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
This was the recipe Mother used for years. She really didn't use recipes, but I did find this in some old cookbooks after she passed away. She didn't write down oven temp or cook time so that is my estimate. Cook time is per cookie sheet. She also didn't write down yield, but it makes a large batch, so yield is an estimate also. Cook these around Thanksgiving, place in cookie tin with wax paper between layers and freeze. Take out just before Christmas and they are wonderful.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs butter, softened
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 12 eggs
- 6 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 lbs candied cherries, slight chopped (I use 1 green and 1 red)
- 2 lbs candied pineapple, slightly chopped
- 1 lb mixed candied fruit, slightly chopped
- 3 quarts slightly chopped nuts
- 1⁄2 cup grape juice (red or white, but not dry) or 1⁄2 cup wine (red or white, but not dry)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs and cream.
- Slowly mix in flour and juice or wine.
- Add fruit and mix well.
- Be sure that the fruit is chopped in large chunks.
- Add nuts and mix.
- Drop by large tablespoonfuls onto cookie sheet and bake until brown.
- (Mother never timed, she just knew. I am estimating the time to be 20 minutes per cookie sheet, but this could vary depending on size of cookies).