Recipe by DeborahSu
This is an adaptation of several slightly different recipes, but slightly different from the rest. My family LOVES it--and so does everyone else who's tasted it! This is also wonderful as a topping for belgian waffles.
For the dressing
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple tidbits, juice of
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 orange, juice of
- vinegar (approx. 1 T)
- 1 grated lemon, rind of
- 1⁄2 grated orange, rind of
- 1⁄2 pint whipping cream, whipped
2 gallons of cut-up fruit
- 2 -3 apples
- 2 oranges
- 3 -4 bananas
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple tidbits (you used the juice in the dressing!)
- 1 cup grapes
- 1 cup cherries (fresh, frozen, or canned)
- fruit (in season, canned, or frozen)
- miniature marshmallow (to taste(I use 1/2 bag)
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk the flour & sugar together. Beat eggs until light, and whisk in flour & sugar.
- Drain a can of pineapple tidbits into a 2-cup measure, add the lemon and orange juices, and pour in enough vinegar to make 1-1/4 cups total liquid.
- Add to the egg mixture. Cook in double boiler, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Chill thorougly, then fold in whipped cream.
- Fold into your mixed fruit--you really can use whatever fruit you have on hand. I've added mango, pears, starfruit, kiwi, and I can't remember what all!
- Chill and enjoy!