Prep 6 hrs
Cook 20 mins
Mom's light as a feather buns are easy to make, full of flavour and a recipe she's been using for over 40 years!
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup lard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 3 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 10 -12 cups flour
- Dissolve yeast and sugar in first amount of warm water until foamy.
- Add yeast mixture to rest of ingredients except flour.
- Add flour in batches, stirring well in between.
- Knead until dough becomes elastic yet pliable.
- Let rise for 2 hours.
- Knead again and let rise for one hour.
- Punch down dough and shape into egg sized portions and place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Cover and let rise for 3 hours.
- Bake at 400F for 15-20 minutes until tops browned.