Recipe by Scandigirl
During the cold winter months after a day skiing, there is nothing more satisfying and easy than a slow cooking stew. I prefer my crock-pot for this one, but you can also cook this using a stovetop method. I have always served this with broad noodles or rice and of course a wonderful home baked crusty roll!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 kg stewing beef, cut in 1 cm cubes
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 (540 ml) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed well
- 250 ml beef stock
- 156 ml tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 chopped sweet red pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Saute in batches stewing beef, onions, carrots and celery.
- Add chickpeas, beef stock, tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, oregano and salt.
- Bring to a boil and then transfer to a crockpot.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Add chopped sweet pepper and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Flour can be stirred up in a bit of water if thickening is needed.