1/1 Photo of Mom's Favourite Dalia for Breakfast
This was taught to me last year by my Mom's elder sister, Bindu D. Kapoor. This is a nutritious breakfast and well worth the effort. Diabetics may also have this. A cup of tea on the side and this is the perfect start to your day. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 236.59 ml Bulgar wheat (i.e., dalia, the fat variety)
- 650.62 ml water
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 green chili, slit
- 4.92 ml mustard seeds
- 7.39 ml cumin seeds
- 44.37 ml chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 3 cauliflower florets
- 10 French beans, washed, ends trimmed and chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 14.79 ml chopped carrot
- 14.79 ml fresh green peas
- 7.39 ml salt (to taste)
- 29.58 ml oil
- 4 sprig of fresh curry leaves, washed and torn
- 1Dry roast the dalia in a wok until lightly brownish in appearance and it smells aromatic.
- 2Remove from flame and transfer to a plate.
- 3Now heat oil in the same wok.
- 4Once hot, add cumin and mustard seeds.
- 5Allow to splutter.
- 6Once they stop spluttering, add curry leaves, green chilli and onions.
- 7Stir-fry until the mixture smells aromatic and the onions are lightly browned.
- 8Add corriander leaves and mix well.
- 9Fold in the veggies, salt and tomato. Mix again.
- 10Stir in about 2 tbsps. of water to prevent the mixture from sticking to the bottom of the wok.
- 11Cook on medium flame for 5 minutes.
- 12Fold in the roasted dalia and mix thoroughly.
- 13Add water and then transfer the whole mixture to a pressure cooker.
- 14Cover and pressure cook for 2-3 whistles.
- 15This takes about 5 minutes.
- 16Switch off the gas, and then let the dalia cook in its own steam inside the cooker for 2-3 minutes.
- 17After 3 minutes, remove from cooker, garnish with corriander leaves and serve hot.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Favourite Dalia for Breakfast
Serving Size: 1 (440 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 281.1
- Calories from Fat 134
- Total Fat 14.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1779.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.0 g
- Sugars 8.4 g
- Protein 6.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: