Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
My mom has been using this recipe since she was married in the 50's and it's as good now as then. She still makes it for me when I visit. :) It's wonderful when first served, but is even better chilled... cold meatloaf sandwiches, mmm! A versatile recipe, you can easily alter it to your own tastes. Experiment and enjoy! :)
- Mix ingredients thoroughly.
- Pack into greased 9x5x3" loaf pan.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 1 1/2 hours.
- Serve hot or let cool and chill and serve cold.
- Other suggestions: add 3 cloves minced garlic; spread bacon slices over the top before cooking and/or 3 Tbsp catsup or barbecue sauce; substitute 1 Tbsp horseradish and 1 Tbsp for the mustard and sage; substitute 1 cup sauerkraut for 1 cup breadcrumbs and add 1/2 tsp dill weed to taste; try it with other herbs/spices or combinations added such as curry powder, cayenne and cumin, or oregano and basil.
This is also my meatball recipe. I like to use seasoned bread crumbs for extra flavor. Im so happy I still have my Betty Crocker cookbook for my favorites.
I've used this recipe since I found it in a college cooking class in about 1963 and it's still a family favorite. We have a couple of other recipes we use but we always come back to this one!