Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 hrs
I got this recipe (like many others) from my mom. This is a yummy and filling soup perfect for cold winter days. Great with some homemade biscuits!
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 cups water
- 16 ounces frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 tablespoons sugar (although I sometimes halve this because my BF doesn't like as much)
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope onion soup mix
- Brown and drain the ground beef.
- Put the beef in the crock pot with the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, frozen veggies, sugar, and onion soup mix.
- Mix well.
- Cook on Lo for 10 hours or Hi for 5 hours.
I have made this twice, once as written and the second with a bunch of changes. As written this was OK for us. It was way to sweet for soup for us. The second time I made it I doubled the recipe and used crushed tomatoes instead of diced, beef broth instead of water, canned veggies instead of frozen (personal preference) and omitted the sugar. Everyone loved it this way. Both times I did not cook 10 hours as indicated, the first time I think I cooked it 6 and the second only 4. This is a good starter recipe with potential. Made for Fall PAC 2008.