Prep 8 hrs
Cook 15 mins
Thick and fragrant of vanilla, this sweet summer breakfast pudding was a special treat that my mother made when I was little. It's definitely not your everyday cereal and is good plain or served with berries. Prep time includes chilling overnight.
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking farina
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 eggs, well beaten
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Mix farina, sugar and salt.
- In a saucepan, bring milk to a boil then briskly stir in farina mixture.
- Lower heat, cooking and stirring constantly for 3 minutes.
- Add butter, then remove from heat and sir in eggs and vanilla.
- (Eggs will cook from the heat, but you may use pasteurized frozen egg product if you wish.) Pour mixture into individual custard cups rinsed in cold water.
- Refrigerate overnight and serve chilled (unmolded or not) with crushed berries, if you wish.
This pudding is delicous hot, warm or chilled. We eat it shortly after it is first cooked, then we eat any leftovers topped with homemade vanilla yoghurt or dessert cream and fruit for breakfast.