Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
This is out of a local TV Cookbook by KCTS Cooks (favorite recipes). Sent in by a Bellevue, Washington viewer. She said it's always requested for special family gatherings, and can be prepared ahead of time.
- 4 -5 lbs russet potatoes
- 1 large onion
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- nutmeg, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 lbs imported swiss cheese, divided
- 3 cups sour cream (light is okay)
- Boil potatoes in salted water until not quite done.
- Drain, cool and scrape off peels.
- Grate potatoes into a large bowl, using the big holes of the grater.
- Peel onion, cut in half and slice very thin.
- Mix onions with potatoes.
- Add salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Grate cheese and add to potatoes saving about 1 cup for top.
- Add sour cream and mix well.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Pile into a 9 X 13-inch baking dish and top with remaining cup of cheese.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake for approximately 1 hour at 350 degrees.
- If prepared ahead and refrigerated, allow more baking time.
Scaled this back for 2.5 serves and after serving 3 still had a serve left over (DM has requested it be fried up for breakfast in the morning). I did also scale back the cheese and sour cream for health reasons - the scaled back recipe called for 8oz Swiss chease [I used 4oz] and used 1/2 cup of light sour cream instead of 1 cup and we still found it rich and indulgent. Thank youTeresaA made for ZAAR Stars.
Loved the nutmeg and paprika! I added some garlic powder, as well. It was nice to have a potato casserole with Swiss instead of cheddar. We enjoyed the leftovers for breakfast. Thanks for posting!
Outstanding potato dish, & both of us reallya enjoyed the cheese AND the nutmet here ~ Definitely dresses up the potatoes very nicely! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in Potluck tag]