1/2 Photos of Mom's Famous Potato Salad
The Spice Guru's Note:
My mother's recipe for potato salad.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs boiled russet potatoes, peeled
- 3 chopped hard-boiled eggs
- 1 1/3 cups diced celery (include celery hearts and leaves)
- 2/3 cup chopped kosher dill pickle (Mt. Olive Zesty Garlic Dills)
- 1/2 cup rinsed pitted black olives (whole or sliced)
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3/4-1 cup real mayonnaise (or to personal preference)
- 2 tablespoons kosher pickle juice (Mt. Olive Zesty Garlic Dills)
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh baby dill (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard
- freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- celery salt, to taste
- 1CUT a 1/16'' slit around the center circumference of each potato skin; FILL a pot with enough cold water to cook 2 lbs whole potatoes in; ADD whole potatoes.
- 2BRING cold water with 2 lbs. skin-on whole potatoes to a boil; REDUCE heat between medium and medium-high; ADD salt to season; COOK until tender (you may pierce potatoes to check for doneness); REMOVE cooked potatoes with a slotted spoon and place potatoes in a colander; ALLOW potatoes to cool slightly before handling.
- 3TWIST skins gently from potatoes using both hands to remove (skins should be easily removed now); DISCARD skins; ALLOW potatoes to cool and firm before cutting.
- 4DICE cooled potatoes into 3/4 - 1 inch cubes; SET aside.
- 5CHOP remaining SALAD ingredients to specifications; set aside (NOTE: RINSE BLACK OLIVES FIRST WITH WATER TO AVOID "STAINING" POTATO SALAD WITH DARK BRINE, BLOT WITH PAPER TOWEL BEFORE ADDING TO SALAD).
- 6WHISK all DRESSING ingredients in a large bowl until smooth and creamy (NOTE: I USUALLY ADD ONLY ENOUGH YELLOW MUSTARD TO GIVE DRESSING A LIGHT "BUTTER YELLOW" COLOR. IT'S USUALLY THE PERFECT AMOUNT).
- 7FOLD in SALAD ingredients until thoroughly blended; SEASON to taste as desired.
- 8COVER and CHILL salad 2 hours before serving.
- 9GARNISH with desired garnishes.
- 10SERVE and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Famous Potato Salad
Serving Size: 1 (180 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 196.6
- Calories from Fat 83
- Total Fat 9.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 67.2 mg
- Sodium 335.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 4.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: