Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
My mother's recipe for potato salad.
- 2 lbs boiled russet potatoes, peeled
- 3 chopped hard-boiled eggs
- 1 1⁄3 cups diced celery (include celery hearts and leaves)
- 2⁄3 cup chopped kosher dill pickle (Mt. Olive Zesty Garlic Dills)
- 1⁄2 cup rinsed pitted black olives (whole or sliced)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3⁄4-1 cup real mayonnaise (or to personal preference)
- 2 tablespoons kosher pickle juice (Mt. Olive Zesty Garlic Dills)
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh baby dill (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard
- freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- celery salt, to taste
- 1 pinch paprika, pinch of fresh ground black pepper, snipped fresh chives or 1 pinch dill or 1 pinch parsley, black olive
- CUT a 1/16'' slit around the center circumference of each potato skin; FILL a pot with enough cold water to cook 2 lbs whole potatoes in; ADD whole potatoes.
- BRING cold water with 2 lbs. skin-on whole potatoes to a boil; REDUCE heat between medium and medium-high; ADD salt to season; COOK until tender (you may pierce potatoes to check for doneness); REMOVE cooked potatoes with a slotted spoon and place potatoes in a colander; ALLOW potatoes to cool slightly before handling.
- TWIST skins gently from potatoes using both hands to remove (skins should be easily removed now); DISCARD skins; ALLOW potatoes to cool and firm before cutting.
- DICE cooled potatoes into 3/4 - 1 inch cubes; SET aside.
- CHOP remaining SALAD ingredients to specifications; set aside (NOTE: RINSE BLACK OLIVES FIRST WITH WATER TO AVOID "STAINING" POTATO SALAD WITH DARK BRINE, BLOT WITH PAPER TOWEL BEFORE ADDING TO SALAD).
- WHISK all DRESSING ingredients in a large bowl until smooth and creamy (NOTE: I USUALLY ADD ONLY ENOUGH YELLOW MUSTARD TO GIVE DRESSING A LIGHT "BUTTER YELLOW" COLOR. IT'S USUALLY THE PERFECT AMOUNT).
- FOLD in SALAD ingredients until thoroughly blended; SEASON to taste as desired.
- COVER and CHILL salad 2 hours before serving.
- GARNISH with desired garnishes.
- SERVE and enjoy!