Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
As my mother always says, if you don't burn your fingers a little bit, then you haven't done it right!
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup raw Spanish peanut
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Butter two 15x10 jelly roll pans and a fork. Heat water, syrup, and sugar over high heat, stirring with a wooden spoon until the mixture begins to boil.
- Add peanuts as syrup begins to thicken. Stir constantly until the peanuts just start to smell cooked and the bubbling syrup appears the color of pale straw.
- Remove from heat and add butter, salt, and vanilla, stirring vigorously. Stir in baking soda- mixture will foam.
- Pour onto one of the prepared pans.
- As the brittle begins to set, stretch the edges away from the mass and make it as thin as possible. As you stretch pieces away from the mixture, flip them over onto the reverse side and set them on the other jelly roll pan.
- Continue until all of the brittle is stretched as thinly as possible. Allow to cool on pans, then store in tupperware.