Prep 40 mins
Cook 2 hrs
My mom came across this fudge recipe when my pop's sweet tooth started aching and she couldn't find her usual recipe. Ever since, she has only used this one. When she gives the recipe out, everyone says that when they try it, it never turns out like hers. I have made it once. I usually just buy her the stuff and let her make it for me. I'm not lazy, but hers is better! All times are approximate and cook time is hardening time.
- 2⁄3 cup cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Butter an 8 inch pan lined with plastic or foil.
- Throughly combine dry ingredients in a large heavy saucepan. Stir in milk.
- Bring to a full rolling boil on medium heat stirring constantly. Then, boil without stirring until candy reaches 234 degrees on a candy thermometer (soft ball stage). Do NOT stir.
- Remove from heat; add butter and vanilla but do not stir. Allow to cool to 110 degrees (pan is barely warm to touch).
- Beat until fudge thickens and loses it's gloss.
- Quickly spread into the pan and allow to harden.