Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe has been used by our family for over 40 years. We had this bread often and it was always gone in one day.
- Grease 2 loaf pans; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- (105°F to 115°F).
- Add warm milk, sugar, salt, butter and eggs; mix well.
- In another bowl, mix together flour and oats. Gradually add to the yeast mixture and beat on medium speed until smooth.
- Spread in loaf pans, cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F Bake for 25 to 35 minutes or until hollow-sounding when tapped. Cool on a wire rack.
- Makes 2 loaves.
This is a great recipe and the bread is scrumptious. I didn't have quick cooking oats so I soaked regular oats in the warm milk for a while to soften them up. I also substituted some King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour for some of the all purpose flour. I can't wait to try this as toast tomorrow morning!
I've made this bread twice now. The first time I followed the recipe exactly. It was done and out of the oven by the time I went to work, so I brought it with me. My co-workers LOVED it. I made it again today and substituted some white whole wheat flour for the A/P. Not sure if I'll have any left for tomorrow's toast!!