Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 2 cups potatoes, chopped
- 2 cups cauliflower florets, chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock or 4 cups water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dill
- 1⁄4 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese (grated) or 1 1⁄2 cups Velveeta cheese (or comb)
- 1 (8 ounce) can evaporated skim milk
- 1 hot banana pepper
- salt to taste In a large stock pot, saute onion, garlic, celery, and carrots till tender.
- Add stock or water to pan with potato cubes, cauliflower and banana pepper.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes, or till vegetables are tender.
- At this point, add seasonings, except salt. Taste for heat, and if ok, remove banana pepper now.
- If you like it hotter, leave till desired heat is achieved, remembering that reheating the soup will make it hotter each time. Next, add the milk and heat to a slow simmer.
- Now, add the cheese. I use 1-2 cups of Velveeta, and or sharp cheddar cheese shredded, and stir in until melted.
- Now salt to taste and serve.
- NOTES : If a banana pepper is unavailable, use crushed red pepper flakes.
- I also add shredded sharp cheddar cheese with the Velveeta.
- I also like the caraway flavor and add more than my Mom does.
This is a very nice soup, and doesn't take long to make....about 50 minutes from begining to end, because of preparing the ingredients. I did not have the banana pepper or the red pepper flakes, so I used Tobasco sauce....just a bit, because I don't like too much heat. The next time I make it though...I think I will double the recipe, because it tastes even better the next day! I also used about twice the amount of caraway seed. It is what really makes this soup, I think. I also used a potato masher to mash up some of the ingredients before serving. Cathy in Ontario.
Perfect for a cold, wet, dreary day. I didn't tell anyone what kind of soup it was because I knew I would see some turned up nosed at the mention of cauliflower. Everyone seemed to like it. The only thing I may do differently is to chop the veggies smaller, or use a hand mixer or potato masher to it before serving
Excellent recipe. Thanks for sharing