Recipe by Beve
My mom made this wonderful meal a lot. I think she said it was a German (she was German-Irish) dish..If she was lucky enough, she picked dandelons to use instead of endive.....She served it as a main meal. My hubby really loves it. Looks like it's time for me to make it again after so many years...GBGBeve.....
Top Review by Mia in Germany
Wonderful dish indeed! I'm German and knew it but had totally forgotten how to make it. When I accidentally stumbled over it, I knew I had to make it :) I used both endive and dandelion but no bacon drippings as we don't eat pork. So I used turkey bacon fried in clarified butter. Also I reduced the sugar a little, maybe 3/4 of the listed amount. I'll definitely make this again, thanks for sharing!
Made for Greens for Spring / Diabetes Forum.
- 1 bunch endive
- 3 -4 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 sweet onion, diced or sliced
- 4 -5 diced or sliced boiled, peeled potatoes
- 4 -5 slices bacon
- 1⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash,& dry endive and tear into bite-sizes; Put into large bowl and add the hard-boiled eggs, onion, potatoes.
- Brown bacon till very crisp, remove bacon from skillet.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Leave bacon drippings in skillet on low.
- Mix together in a jar/glass the dressing ingredients.
- Pour dressing into drippings and heat this til almost boiling.
- Pour over endive, toss.