Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
My mom made this wonderful meal a lot. I think she said it was a German (she was German-Irish) dish..If she was lucky enough, she picked dandelons to use instead of endive.....She served it as a main meal. My hubby really loves it. Looks like it's time for me to make it again after so many years...GBGBeve.....
- 1 bunch endive
- 3 -4 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 sweet onion, diced or sliced
- 4 -5 diced or sliced boiled, peeled potatoes
- 4 -5 slices bacon
- 1⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- Wash,& dry endive and tear into bite-sizes; Put into large bowl and add the hard-boiled eggs, onion, potatoes.
- Brown bacon till very crisp, remove bacon from skillet.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Leave bacon drippings in skillet on low.
- Mix together in a jar/glass the dressing ingredients.
- Pour dressing into drippings and heat this til almost boiling.
- Pour over endive, toss.
Wonderful dish indeed! I'm German and knew it but had totally forgotten how to make it. When I accidentally stumbled over it, I knew I had to make it :) I used both endive and dandelion but no bacon drippings as we don't eat pork. So I used turkey bacon fried in clarified butter. Also I reduced the sugar a little, maybe 3/4 of the listed amount. I'll definitely make this again, thanks for sharing!
Made for Greens for Spring / Diabetes Forum.
I was looking for a recipe that used dandelions that we got from our CSA farm. This recipe was a good choice. I thought the dish needed a bit more vinegar. My husband liked it just the way it was.
A Yummy dish!!