Recipe by mamatrefs
This appetizer is more chunky than the usual spreads and is served either room temperature or cold on crackers or small pieces of dense Italian bread.
- 1 celery
- 2 large eggplants
- 1 lb pitted green olives
- 1 lb pitted black olives
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) jar capers, drained
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 quarts cider vinegar
- olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop celery and par-boil until half tender.
- Skin and cube eggplants.
- Place cubed eggplant in a colander and salt heavily. Place a heavy object on top of the eggplant and let all the bitter juices drain for about 2 hours.
- In a very large pot, place 1/2 inch of olive oil and place on medium heat.
- Add the eggplant, capers, celery, olives, pepper and sugar into hot oil and saute 30 minutes.
- Add the cider vinegar a little at a time until all of it is used.
- Cook for 1 hour or until most of the liquid has evaporated. Test the eggplant to be sure it is soft enough for a spread.
- Ladle into canning jars.
- Because this is an appetizer and makes quite a lot, I wasn't sure what to say about servings so the nutritional value will be off.