Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
this makes 2 pies... it's a LOT of work to separate 8 eggs... and must be made ahead BUT this makes 2 pies at once and it is TOTALLY worth it for its chiffony texture... Very Special -- even people who don't like eggnog LOVE this very special pie!
- 8 egg yolks
- 4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 (1 ounce) packagesknox unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3 ounces rum (2 jiggers)
- 2 tablespoons rum flavoring
- 8 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shaved hershey's chocolate candy bar
- 2 (8 -10 inch) oronoque orchards frozen pie crusts
- Separate 8 large or extra large eggs into yolks and whites [i prefer to scrupulously detach/remove the white thingum in each egg, which is tedious].
- The best way to do this is to hold one yolk in your hand, letting its white drip into a bowl; as you put the yolk into a yolks bowl, pull off any white stuff; rinse your hands and towel dry; remove any white stuff from the egg white in a bowl with a spoon or by hand; put the white into the whites bowl -- this way, if some yolk gets into its white, you can set that egg aside without getting some yolk into all of the other whites and having to start over!
- Refrigerate whites [making SURE there is no white embryonic material in this].
- Beat egg yolks with a fork or whisk and add them to the milk and sugar and salt in a 2-3 quart saucepan.
- Continue on a low boil until the mixture thickens some, stirring constantly.
- Take the egg-milk mixture off the stove.
- Add 2 packages of gelatin dissolved into 1/4 cup water.
- Add 2-3 jiggers of rum and rum flavoring, to taste [you can omit the rum for children].
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next day, remove the egg whites from the refrigerate and let warm to room temperature.
- Prick pie shells with a fork and prebake.
- Set the shells aside to cool.
- Whip the 8 egg whites with 1/2 cup sugar until very stiff.
- Set aside.
- Whip the egg-milk custard mixture until very fluffy.
- Whip the 1/2 cup heavy cream.
- Fold the whipped cream into the whipped egg-milk custard mixture.
- Fold the stiff egg whites into the custard mixture.
- Turn out into cooled pie shells.
- Grate the Hershey's chocolate bar over both pies.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- [you CAN use red food coloring to turn the filling pink and you can also top with a layer of additional whipped cream].
- Also you can substitute 2-3 ounces of bourbon for the rum.
- For children, you can just use rum flavoring - but often the kids like the hint of liquor.