Recipe by Kie&Den
Kie has been fixing this for our family for over 40 years. She got it from her mom, so it's tried and true. The only change was an upgrade to Golden Mushroom Soup from just plain mushroom soup.
Top Review by bettylee in Santa Cruz, CA
This recipe is so simple, but very delicious. The slow, long cooking time allows the aroma to permeate the entire house and call my family to the kitchen. You are right, the golden mushroom soup makes a big difference. I will be making this many, many times. A true staple.
- 2 lbs sirloin steaks, 1/2 - 3/4 inch cut (or round)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans condensed golden mushroom soup
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 deg F.
- Heat frying pan on medium high burner. Add oil.
- Saute onions in oil until soft. Remove and set aside. Reserve oil.
- Cut steak into four or five portions. Salt and pepper both sides.
- Brown steak in reserved oil. About 2 min per side.
- Put steak and onions in a oven proof stoneware or glass casserole dish.
- Add soup and 1-1/2 cans of filtered water to frying pan.
- Heat to near boiling and deglaze pan. Add to steak.
- Cover dish with aluminium foil.
- Bake for 2-1/2 to 3 hours until meat is tender.
- Serve meat with horseradish and the gravy over mashed potatoes.