Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Using a cake mix and a few more ingredients makes this recipe easy and delicious.
- 1 (18 ounce) box chocolate cake mix or 1 (18 ounce) box white cake mix or 1 (18 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) box instant chocolate fudge pudding
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 4 extra large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (1 ounce) bottle red food coloring
- 1 (16 ounce) container cream cheese frosting
- 1⁄4 cup crushed pecans or 1⁄4 cup walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix all ingredients and pour the batter into 2 8 or 9-inch round cake pans.
- Time and bake cakes according to the cake mix directions.
- Let cakes cool and icing layers with the cream cheese frosting then sprinkle the top with the crushed pecans or the walnuts.
- Note: If you use a yellow or white cake mix the red color of the cake is more intense, but I use chocolate for the flavor.
After reading the reviews, I made this cake for my daughter's 5th bday party. I doubled the recipe. I was a lil nervous, but it came out awesome. Everyone loved it. The only thing I did differently was that I added 2 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips, and I made my own cream cheese frosting. Moist and delicious! When you warm it in the micro, the chips and cream cheese melt. YUMMY!!
This was my first red velvet cake and it turned out great. I made it for my fiancÃ©'s birthday. Both him and my family just loved it. It was very easy and very good!
My first red velvet cake and it was fantastic! I used a white cake mix, 5 large eggs since I didn't have XL eggs and lots of red food coloring. I also added a bit of extra flour and some water (for high-altitude baking.) Made cream cheese frosting from another recipe and topped with chopped pecans. Yummy! (By the way, this cake was made for a crowd of Southerners on Christmas and they all gave it their seal of approval.)