Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
My mom got this recipe years ago from someone she worked with...she made it at Christmas and holidays quite a bit. I have never made it, but I know it tastes yummy!! If you like alot of peanuts to candy ratio, use the whole 1 1/2 cups peanuts (or more if you like)...it's purely personal preference!
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup white light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup raw Spanish peanut
- Stir syrup, water and sugar together in large, heavy pan to hard ball stage (250*F- 265*F-- A little of this syrup dropped into cold water will form a hard ball).
- Stir in butter and peanuts until golden brown.
- Stir in vanilla and soda.
- Pour into 2 buttered pizza pans, just shaking pan to even out mixture.
- Cool and break into pieces.
I was only going to give this 4 stars ONLY because the second step leaves one to wonder. But then it was my first shot at peanut brittle so I thought, "until the peanuts get golden brown". Luckily the bag of spanish peanuts had the exact same recipe (well actually theirs had salt) and it said to continue to cook to 295 after adding peanuts. I will be making Peanut Brittle EVERY Christmas from now on and more then likely using this recipe. Thanks TA and congrats on your football pool win. Sorry it took me so long to make and review!!
This was a disaster! I followed every step to a T, but when I added Baking Soda it exploded like a volcano. After cleaning up the sticky mess it never cooled and broke, we just have a sticky kitchen and a goopy mess of peanuts.
This was wonderful. As my mom says, "This is Peanut Brittle, not Peanut Brutal." It has a nice crunch without being too hard. It's not super sticky either. Thank you, Troop Angel!