Recipe by Halcyon Eve
This chili goes together fairly quickly--it only simmers for about 45 minutes to an hour, instead of for several hours like some chili recipes. It makes a good weeknight dinner; I love it best with cornbread, although biscuits are nice, too. Usually by the time the cornbread or biscuits are done, so is the chili.
Top Review by diner524
Great chili!!! I didn't realize I was out of tomato sauce (always have this on hand) so had to sub a can diced tomatoes. I made 1/2 of the recipe and the only other difference I made was to season with salt and pepper. Thanks for sharing your recipe. Made for a bonus tag in Potluck Tag.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small garlic clove, minced (or use rehydrated dried minced or granulated garlic)
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans low-sodium kidney beans (1 can drained and 1 can undrained)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 2 (16 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 -2 tablespoon chili powder (or to taste)
- 1 bay leaf
- shredded cheese (garnish) (optional)
- sour cream (garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in saute pan or deep skillet and brown beef. Drain any extra fat. Add garlic and cook 1-2 minutes longer.
- Add onion and celery and saute 3-4 minutes or until onions are just tender.
- Add beans (with liquid from one can), one can of tomato sauce, chili powder, and bay leaf and stir to combine. If not saucy enough or not tomatoey enough, add another can of tomato sauce.
- Bring just to a simmer, reduce heat, and simmer down, stirring occasionally, to desired thickness (about 45 minutes to an hour, depending on how thick you like it).
- Serve hot, garnished with cheese and sour cream as desired.