1/2 Photos of Mom's Easy Chili
1 hr 15 mins
Halcyon Eve's Note:
This chili goes together fairly quickly--it only simmers for about 45 minutes to an hour, instead of for several hours like some chili recipes. It makes a good weeknight dinner; I love it best with cornbread, although biscuits are nice, too. Usually by the time the cornbread or biscuits are done, so is the chili.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small garlic clove, minced (or use rehydrated dried minced or granulated garlic)
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans low-sodium kidney beans (1 can drained and 1 can undrained)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 (16 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 -2 tablespoon chili powder (or to taste)
- 1 bay leaf
- shredded cheese (garnish) (optional)
- sour cream (garnish) (optional)
- 1Heat oil in saute pan or deep skillet and brown beef. Drain any extra fat. Add garlic and cook 1-2 minutes longer.
- 2Add onion and celery and saute 3-4 minutes or until onions are just tender.
- 3Add beans (with liquid from one can), one can of tomato sauce, chili powder, and bay leaf and stir to combine. If not saucy enough or not tomatoey enough, add another can of tomato sauce.
- 4Bring just to a simmer, reduce heat, and simmer down, stirring occasionally, to desired thickness (about 45 minutes to an hour, depending on how thick you like it).
- 5Serve hot, garnished with cheese and sour cream as desired.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Easy Chili
Serving Size: 1 (402 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 378.5
- Calories from Fat 87
- Total Fat 9.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 46.8 mg
- Sodium 880.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.9 g
- Sugars 7.7 g
- Protein 31.3 g