Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
This recipe is for my mom's tasty Dutch Apple Pie. I love making this for the holidays. It's easy to make and it has a wonderful flavor.
- 5 1⁄2 cups thinly sliced baking apples (I usually use jonathon)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 1 graham cracker crust
- 1 egg, for coating
- Beat one egg and brush into the bottom and sides of the graham cracker pie crust. Cook the pie crust for 5 minutes in the oven at 375 degrees.
- After removing the pie crust from the oven, combine all filling ingredients and spoon into the crust.
- Mix all topping ingredients with a pastry cutter until blended well and crumbly. Top filled pie with topping and bake for 50 minutes at 375 degrees.
- You can use either a regular pastry pie crust, or a graham cracker crust. I use a graham cracker crust because it gives the pie a sweeter, more flavorful taste. I always use a store bought graham cracker crust only because it's faster than making one, however, if you have a great homemade graham cracker crust recipe, the pie will present prettier in a nice pie dish. I usually buy the 9 ounce graham cracker crust. It's a little larger (and will usually be labeled with "2 extra servings" on the package) because by the time you get your topping on the pie it's pretty full.
- If you would prefer to make this recipe gluten free, use a gluten free flour mixture in the filling and the topping mixes. For the crust substitute with either a gluten free pastry, or a gluten free graham cracker crust, or simply bake without the crust in a pan and top with some vanilla ice cream (Edy's Grand French Vanilla is gluten free).
- Yum! Enjoy.
Delicious!!! Super easy!!! I don't have a pastry blender so I just used a fork, turned out a little lumpy on top because of that. Going to buy one because I plan to make this more often! It was great!!!
This is delicious! I used graham cracker pie crust and replaced the sugar with coconut sugar. I've tried a few apple pie recipes in the past and this is by far my favorite! This is a 5-star recipe, anyone that says otherwise is doing it wrong. Thanks for sharing it!
It's a shame that someone gave this recipe 1 star, bringing down the total score. Not sure where they went wrong but, if you follow the directions precisely, it's a delicious dessert. Brushing the crust with an egg, and baking it a few minutes prior to filling it, prevents it from becoming soggy. So, try not to forget that step.