Recipe by Bec
This was my mom's favorite casserole when she was younger. However, she didn't get it very often because her brothers didn't like it as much. I like it, though, so I posted it! To make the dish less salty, rinse the beef in water before cooking. Also, cut down on the addition of salt in the recipe. (I find I need to do these things, to suit my tastes)
- 14.79 ml butter
- 59.14 ml chopped onion
- 141.74 g package dried beef (cut up or sliced as desired)
- 236.59 ml sliced mushrooms
- 29.58 ml butter
- 29.58 ml flour
- 1.23 ml salt
- 0.59 ml pepper
- 236.59 ml low-fat milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 4.92 ml prepared mustard
- 473.18 ml corn, drained
- 118.29 ml shredded cheddar cheese
- 1.23 ml paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute 1 tablespoon butter and onion, add beef and mushrooms.
- For the white sauce: Melt 2 tablespoons butter with a wooden spoon.
- Blend in flour, salt and pepper, and stir until bubbly and then remove from heat.
- Stir in milk.
- Put it back on the burner, and stir constantly.
- Bring to a boil, and boil for 1 minute- Keep stirring so it doesn't burn.
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolks and add the prepared mustard, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine the egg yolk mixture with the white sauce mixture and dried beef mixture.
- Add the 2 cups corn.
- Pour into a 2 1/2 quart baking dish.
- Grate 1/2 cup cheese on top.
- Sprinkle paprika on top.
- Bake covered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.