1/1 Photo of Mom's Dried Beef and Corn Casserole
This was my mom's favorite casserole when she was younger. However, she didn't get it very often because her brothers didn't like it as much. I like it, though, so I posted it! To make the dish less salty, rinse the beef in water before cooking. Also, cut down on the addition of salt in the recipe. (I find I need to do these things, to suit my tastes)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 (5 ounce) package dried beef (cut up or sliced as desired)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 2 cups corn, drained
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1Saute 1 tablespoon butter and onion, add beef and mushrooms.
- 2For the white sauce: Melt 2 tablespoons butter with a wooden spoon.
- 3Blend in flour, salt and pepper, and stir until bubbly and then remove from heat.
- 4Stir in milk.
- 5Put it back on the burner, and stir constantly.
- 6Bring to a boil, and boil for 1 minute- Keep stirring so it doesn't burn.
- 7In a small bowl, beat egg yolks and add the prepared mustard, and salt and pepper to taste.
- 8Combine the egg yolk mixture with the white sauce mixture and dried beef mixture.
- 9Add the 2 cups corn.
- 10Pour into a 2 1/2 quart baking dish.
- 11Grate 1/2 cup cheese on top.
- 12Sprinkle paprika on top.
- 13Bake covered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Dried Beef and Corn Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (189 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 279.9
- Calories from Fat 128
- Total Fat 14.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.0 g
- Cholesterol 130.5 mg
- Sodium 1074.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 17.3 g