Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I got this recipe from mom, who got it out of an old cookbook, and decided to rename it "Mom's coffee cake" . In fact, she renamed everything "moms" if it was good! Anyways, it is a great basic coffee cake, and can be made with or without the nuts. Impress your work friends, church group, or house guests. It is yummy, and tastes better the next day.
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, well beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup sour cream
- COMBINE nuts with the 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
- BLEND together flour, baking powder & soda; set aside. Cream butter with the 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Add dry ingredients and sour cream; beat until well blended (do not overbeat).
- POUR half batter into greased and lightly floured 9 inch square pan;
- Top with half of cinnamon-nut mixture. Cover with remaining batter; top with last of cinnamon-nut mixture.
- Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Great cake! Nice and fluffy and not too sweet. Thanks for sharing , will definitely make again!
Divine is an understatement. This is the best $#!@%$ coffee cake we have had in YEARS! Do me a favor, Chef Sweet Sal and give your mother a hug from me! This recipe is going into my cookbook and will be made very often. Perfect level of moisture, wonderful crumb. Tender and flavorful without being overly sweet. I wouldn't change a thing.