This is my Mom's recipe. It is so good, very light and fluffy with a crispy crust on the bottom. Very simple too. Can be used to make rolls, or loaves. You can easily double it. You can also add 1c. raisins and/or slivered almonds,orange/lemon zest and vanilla extract to a loaf for a festive holiday bread. The options are endless!
- Combine warm water, yeast, oil and honey in a large bowl, let sit for 5 minutes then add the salt and egg. Stir all together.
- Add the flour one cup at a time, stirring together after each cup. Around the 5th cup your dough will begin to come together pulling away from the sides of the bowl and forming a ball.
- Empty the dough onto a clean, floured surface and begin kneading the dough adding a little more flour as it becomes sticky. It should be slightly sticky. Knead for 3-5 minutes until smooth, firm and elastic.
- Set aside to rise until double.
- Divide dough into 2 loaves or 1 loaf and 12 rolls or all rolls if you like. Place in well greased loaf pan or rolls on a greased cookie sheet.
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Set aside to rise until almost double once more.
- Bake loaves for 25-30 minutes, or rolls for 15 minutes. They should be golden brown on top and bottom when done.
I would give you 10 stars for this recipe! MY Family LOVES this bread. I have always wanted to give home made bread a try. But all I would see is these bread recipe made with a bread machine "I don't have one" So I went searching and found this recipe. I have made it twice since I found it. The first day I made it the 2 loaves were gone in 1 day by 3 of us. LOL I couldn't keep my girls from it. Next day my DD emails me from work and asks that I make it again. I could I not when it was so good and easy :) Now.......mind you, I told them to stay away from 1 loaf cuz I want to use it for another recipe, they complied with grinding teeth LOL. This weekend instead of loaves I am going to make dinner rolls. Wow...so that means I will have made this recipe 3 times in 1 week. See how good this recipe is? Thank you so much for posting this recipe and I will make a zillion times for sure :)
I just got this recipe 3 days ago and I have made it three times. Once I made bread, once rolls and today I made cinnamon bread and all 3 times it turned out great! Easy to make and the only thing I did different was put a pan of boiling water on the bottom of the oven and it rose within 1/2 hour. Best recipe ever!!!!
Great recipe! If you've ever tried making bread before and failed (like I did) then cast your worries aside and begin your new life as a baker. I've made this bread several times so far and have even played around with recipe by adding things like herbs, cheese, seeds, soaked grains etc. Follow the steps and you will have fluffy, light bread just like you buy from the store.