Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
She ALWAYS comes up with the best recipes!
- 1 lb black beans
- 1 ham bone or 1 beef bones or 1 chicken carcass
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves
- 2 carrots
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 -10 celery leaves
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter
- Discard imperfect beans or stones.
- Rinse & soak overnight.
- Drain & place in large soup kettle with bone or carcass & 5 q. water.
- Add the onion stuck with cloves and carrots.
- Add the bay leaf, & celery leaves tied in a little bouquet.
- Cover & simmer for 3-4 hours.
- Remove the bones, onion, & bouquet with slotted spoon.
- Spin beans, liquid, & carrots in blender.
- Add cornstarch to soup in blender.
- Reheat stirring frequently.
- Taste for seasoning.
- Serve in bowls with pat of butter, slice of lemon & sprinkling of parsley.
- (Soaking overnight not included in "times to make").