Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
I'm not crazy about date squares, but these are good!
Make and share this Mom's Date Squares recipe from Food.com.
- Combine all ingredients and simmer until thickened (don't burn) Set aside and cool.
- Lightly grease a 9x9-inch pan.
- Sift and mix together flour and soda.
- Combine sugar and oats to flour mixture.
- Work in butter with fingertips.
- Pat 1/2 of the mixture onto bottom of pan.
- Spread filling on patted mixture.
- Put remaining mixture on top of filling and pat lightly. Bake in 375°F oven for 45 minutes.
- Cut when cool.
These were nicely moist and chewy.I did add 1/4 tsp of freshly ground nutmeg and cloves to the filling mix.
Thanks for sharing Cheryl. We really enjoyed these date squares. They turned out very yummy. I used 1 cup of orange juice instead of water. I also only cooked these at 400 for 30 minutes.
I love date squares but found on this one that the cooking temperature and length of cooking time to be much too hot and too long. My squares were dryed out and too brown. I think 350f for 40 minutes would be better. My oven was checked about 3 months ago and is right on.