Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
We had this pie quite often when I was growing up. The first time my husband, then my boyfriend, came over to meet my parents, Mom decided to make this pie. She must have been a little flustered, because she forgot the sugar. She served him first and he started eating it without saying a word. Mom decided he was a keeper because he ate that awful pie so politely.
- 2 cups milk
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 unbaked pie shell
- Prepare pie shell and chill thoroughly, at least 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Scald milk in double-boiler or in microwave.
- In separate bowl, whisk eggs a little, then add sugar and salt and stir.
- Add scalded milk, stirring constantly. Stir in vanilla and nutmeg and pour into chilled pie shell.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until all but about an inch in the center is set. Be careful not to overcook.
- Cool completely before cutting.
- NOTE: This recipe works best made by hand, not with a mixer.
Dh loves custard pie. I surprised him with this one and when he finished he was grinning from ear to ear and I got the good wife gold star. It's simple, it's easy and it doesn't need any improvements. It fit a 9" pie crust perfectly.