Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
I always looked forward to these at Christmas. They are a nice "adult" cookie--not real sweet and the fresh cranberries give them an ever-so-slight tartness.
- 1 1⁄4 cups shortening
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts ( walnuts are good)
- 3 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups chopped fresh cranberries
- Combine sifted flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda in one bowl.
- Set aside.
- Cream together shortening and sugars in another large bowl.
- Add beaten eggs, vanilla and nuts.
- Gradually add flour mixture from the first bowl.
- Work in chopped cranberries.
- Divide mixture and roll into 3 logs approximately 1 1/2-2 inches in diameter.
- Add a few drops of water if necessary for cohesion.
- Wrap each in plastic wrap and freeze.
- To bake, preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Unwrap and thaw logs slightly.
- Cut into 1/4 inch slices.
- Bake on lightly greased cookie sheet for 10-12 minutes.
- Cool on a rack.
These were awesome. Easy to make, tasty, a definite repeat.
I wanted a recipe so that I could use up the left over fresh cranberries from Thanksgiving. I will buy extra cranberies next year to make more. I love them. Karen