Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
It produces a fudge like texture, but is creamy in color. This was handed down from my mother-in-law's family tree. She is now 80 years old. If you over cook the syrup ball test stage, it will be very crumbly. No problem! You then can use it as a icecream topping.Yummy! It will taste great either way. All ages love this.
Ingredients Bowl 1
- 32 saltine crackers (crumbled)
- 2 cups pecans (chopped)
- 1 cup coconut (optional)
Ingredients Bowl 2
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk (regular)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- In a large pot (size of a round magnalite) add sugar and milk. Mix and cook on medium burner until bubbly.
- Add 2 tablespoons of margarine. Stir, cook and check until a drop in water forms a firm ball (like soft caramel).
- Add 2 teaspoons of vanilla. Mix and QUICKLY add the bowl 1 dry ingredients. Stir, pour, and SPEEDILY spread this mixture into the prepared margarine greased 9x12 pan.
- Let cool and cut into squares.