Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is my husband's treasured recipe of his mom's for corn meal mush. You can cook and then serve with salt and pepper or jelly or syrup.
- Place the milk on top of double boiler.
- Place over hot water and heat the milk until hot.
- Combine cornmeal, salt and cold water and stir until smooth.
- Add to the hot milk, stirring constantly and cook for 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Cover and cook for about 30 minutes longer.
- Divide and put in 2 medium size loaf pans.
- Slice and fry in hot oil when cooled.
My Grandma would make this, adding crispy crumbled bacon to the cooked mush before pouring it into the loaf pan(s)...then she'd fry the slices in bacon grease, and top with butter and maple syrup...so goood on cold winter mornings....sometimes she'd fry the slices and top each with a fried egg...Thanks for the trip down memory lane!