Recipe by coconutty
Two recipes in one! If you stop the recipe at a certain point, you have grated cabbage salad. If you continue for a few more steps, you have cole slaw! The prep time is an estimate. Chilling time is not included.
- 1 head cabbage, halved
- salt water
- 1 -2 carrot
- green pepper
- apple cider vinegar (for cole slaw only)
- water (for cole slaw only)
- artificial sweetener, of choice (for cole slaw only) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak cabbage halves in salt water to cover about 20 minutes.
- Rinse cabbage and rinse the bowl.
- Add A LITTLE salt (not too much) and rub into cabbage hard with your hands. Taste for salt. You don't rip the cabbage halves apart to do this; just rub the outside surfaces, because you have to sliver the cabbage in the next step, and you don't want it all messy. (I am not sure why this step is even necessary, but those were the original instructions.).
- Cut the cabbage into fine slivers and place in a large bowl.
- Grate in the carrot (1 if the cabbage head is small; 2 if large).
- Finely dice the green pepper. Mix well. (I didn't show an amount for the green pepper - it is not one of the main vegetables - just use enough to have flecks here and there in the salad, unless you want more.).
- Add mayonnaise – just enough to coat. Mix through.
- Stop here if you want grated cabbage salad.
- Continue with the recipe if you want cole slaw:.
- Mix 1 part apple cider vinegar to 2 parts water.
- Add gradually to cabbage mixture; taste for seasoning.
- Sweeten with whatever sweetener you want to use.
- Cover and refrigerate for a few hours or more for the flavors to develop.