Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
My mom and I would make this cake frequently--mainly for birthdays and special occasions.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 eggs, separated
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk (soured milk will do(add 2 to 3 tbsp. vinegar to milk)
- 1 2⁄3 cups flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 (1 lb) box powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- Cream shortening, margarine, and sugar.
- Add egg yolks, one at a time, mixing well after each yolk.
- Sift flour and soda together.
- Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, starting and ending with flour.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Fold egg whites into batter.
- Fold coconut into batter.
- Bake in 3 greased and floured pans for 25 to 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Blend all frosting ingredients and frost cake when cooled.