Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
My mom worked with a woman named Pat and she gave mom the recipe years ago when I was a little girl. I remember having this casserole often. It's especially wonderful on a cold winter night. Can be made ahead and even frozen.
- 1 (12 ounce) package cooked egg noodles or 1 (12 ounce) package macaroni
- 2 lbs hamburger
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 1 chopped green pepper
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can tomato soup
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can mushroom soup
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 (10 ounce) canned mushrooms, including juice (sliced or stems and pieces)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 (4 ounce) package slivered almonds
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Cook noodles, drain and set aside.
- Brown hamburger.
- Saute onions, green pepper and garlic in hamburger fat and drain.
- Mix all other ingredients together except topping and noodles in large casserole.
- Carefully add noodles.
- Melt butter in microwave and add to breadcrumbs making a crumbly mixture.
- Spread almonds and buttered bread crumbs on top.
- Bake 350 F for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Can be prepared ahead of time or frozen. If you freeze, allow to cool before putting in freezer.