Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is the cupcake & icing recipe my mom always uses. The icing doesn't have that commercial-tasting flavour most have. It is so basic that it is incredibly versatile. My favourite is to make chocolate icing and dip the iced cupcake into roasted coconut.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat thoroughly eggs, oil, and sugar, until light and bubbly.*.
- In a seperate bowl, sift flour and baking powder.
- Add to the eggs, alternating with the milk.
- Stir only until texture is smooth, as little as possible.
- If you wish, this is the time to add chocolate chips, nuts, raisins, or whatever.
- Pour into paper-lined muffin pan.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, until cupcakes are golden & a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool before frosting.
- Whip the icing sugar, butter, vanilla & add only enough milk for the icing to be smooth.
- In cupcake batter, you can add spices, flavourings, your can include chocolate chips and/or raisins and/or cocoa and/or coconut, etc. etc.
- To the icing, you can add cocoa and/or mint, almond, orange extracts (or any other kind) to taste.
- You can also add food colouring to the vanilla icing.
- Dip the top of frosted cupcakes into shaved chocolate, sprinkles, roasted coconut, candy, spices etc. etc.
- Let your kids go wild!
- *The more you beat the eggs & sugar mix, the fluffier the cake will be.