Recipe by Babs in Toyland
My Mom ran a little restaurant in a bank building and her soups were the best. The most popular one by far was this clam chowder. The only changes I made were to add more clams than she did. I also wait to add the whole milk until the end, because I like mine thicker and that way you can control the thickness to your taste. Enjoy!
Top Review by *Parsley*
Your Mom has a wonderful recipe here! I made this according to the recipe, using fat free half & half. As mentioned in the intro, I waited to add the milk. I didn't use a whole quart, so it would stay on the thicker side. The carrot added a nice color and sweetness to the chowder. Thanx for sharing!
- 6 medium potatoes, cubed
- 1 stick celery, diced
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons chicken base
- 1 quart half-and-half cream
- 1 quart milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 4 (6 1/2 ounce) cans clams, drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Place potatoes, celery, onions and carrot in a pot with enough water to cover and stir in the chicken stock base.
- Cook until tender.
- In a separate, larger pot, melt butter and whisk in flour.
- Add the half and half and whisk.
- Add the veggies with all of their liquid and mix.
- Add the clams.
- Heat through, BUT DO NOT Boil.